when TEACHERS become STUDENTS

Image result for when teachers become students

Another great topic to get me thinking, brainstorming and researching!

This is a great time to compile the ways that I am going to continue learning and growing as I got some exciting news today ...


I just moved back to Canada from Bangkok so I have been working as a TTOC for the Greater Victoria School district so far this school year. But since I am now actively working on my Teacher Librarianship diploma I am qualified to work as a TL in this district (as long as I finish 4 courses by the end of this school year). I got a call offering me a position as teacher librarian at a small elementary school for two days a week. I am ecstatic as I now can begin to use ideas and information I have been learning since I have started the diploma program. Getting into a library is one of the best ways to learn! My younger sister just started a teacher education program in Alberta and as we've been chatting about it I have been reflecting on how the most useful part of the education program is doing practicums and learning on the go. 


The second way that I can continue to grow and add to my practice is by being a TOC on the teacher librarian list. I was recently added to this list and I am looking forward to seeing the different libraries in the district and gathering ideas and inspiration that way. I have enjoyed seeing the different way classrooms are set up and run, and I think the same benefit can from libraries as well.


I just received information to attend my first Teacher-Librarian Association meeting here in Victoria at the end of October. I look forward to networking and talking in person to TL's from all over the city. I think this will be especially helpful as I navigate my new position. There is also a book club that will be reading a TL related book and meeting a few times to discuss which I would like to get involved in. 


In my LIBE 461 course our professor gave us instructions on how to subscribe to LM_NET to get plugged into the wider teacher-librarian's community. Almost everyday I get a short email with a topic list at the top, outlining questions, ideas or wonderings that TL's have for the wider community. You can reply to questions or see suggestions people have made in response to a question that might be useful in your own library. 

Here is an example of one email I received that is related to our topic:







I followed the google survey link and participated in the survey. After his survey is complete and he posts the results it will be really interesting to see what the most common technologies used by librarians are as I still have a limited understanding of the possibilities out there. I may learn about some I haven't heard of that I could use in my new position. I have seen google classroom in action a little bit but I would like to learn more about how different librarians use this. 

Click here for the link on how to subscribe to this TL community if you are interested. This email subscription feels a little more old school to me as there are so many new ways to connect like social media but I have seen a few interesting things pop up so I believe that it is still worth checking out. 



I was also interested in what Aaron mentioned in his Sunday video about using social networks like twitter to connect with other Teacher Librarians. I have to admit that I have never used twitter before but I do have an account now. One of my goals is to do some exploring and see what is out there for me to use as professional development. I started by visiting Aaron's twitter page and checking out some of the accounts that he follows. I am now following the British Columbia Teacher Librarians' Association as well. I just saw that there is 

Here is my twitter handle if you want to follow my early beginnings in the twitter universe: @HannahW72684766

I am still wondering how I tweet out a blog post so maybe my fellow classmates could help me with that or I can ask at the next Tuesday night google hangout!


More to come as I think of it!



References


LM_NET (Library Media Network). (2018). Guidelines. [online] Available at: http://www.lm-net.info/guidelines.html [Accessed 11 Oct. 2018].


Comments

  1. Congratulations on your new position! That is a lot of changes for you that all sound very exciting. I cannot agree with you more about how nice it is to have a TL position to put all the ideas we are learning about into practice. I blogged about that, too, so we have the same thinking on this topic! Learning about and liking an new idea is one thing. It seems to me however, that if you read about it, but then DO IT, it becomes part of your practice. It gives you a chance to alter it to fit your style of teaching and school community.

    I had a prof recommend that LM_NET, too. I tried it out for the duration of the course, but I did not quite get sold on it. It does have an old school feel to it and then some, to me. I am curious to see how you find it as time goes on or even what others think of its value. Even for me not being an avid tweeter, I think twitter and other social media forms seem so much more fresher in approach than LM_NET. Maybe it is just the old fashioned font that gets me!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Rehtaeh about the old style fornt of LM_Net not being very appealing. I also have not yet Tweeted out my blog and need to figure out how to do it.

    I also agree that being able to try out the ideas we are studying is really the best part of working while taking TL courses. The challenge I am encountering, however, is that I have only one period a day in the space and by the time I check the computers, check in books, tidy shelves, help a student or two with various questions , keep the printer running, and do a few other clerical tasks there is rarely time to work on bigger ideas. If I am in a classroom helping a teacher I don't even have time for these tasks! I am hoping that in the future I will have more TL time in my schedule and and can work to make more of my ideas a reality.

    ReplyDelete
  3. By the way, I love the photo you selected for this week's post, and congratulations on your new job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on your new assignment! Which school are you at? I taught at Braefoot Elementary for 14 years, it's a great district. If you happen to run into the TL at Braefoot, Kevin Wilcox, he's a great guy. Do say hello for me!

    I like that you will be going to the TL Association meeting. I have yet to be to one, and to be totally honest, I am not sure if one exists in our district (Perhaps Heather can help me with that one!). I mentioned in my blog post, that making connections with TL's in the same district is one way to have on-going PD. I will definitely be looking into this!

    I think after this course, many of us will be taking to the twitter universe. I know that I have used it in a limited fashion, mostly to follow certain educators and keep track of new and exciting ideas they have to share. Going forward, it would be great to be more active in dialogue and discussion with other educators, and using twitter or Instagram as a means for creating those conversations.

    All the best with the new gig!

    Cheers,

    Darryl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am going to be at Craigflower Elementary. Maybe I will meet Kevin at our TL association soon. I will say hi if I do!

      Maybe you can be the one to start a TL association in your district! :)

      Delete
  5. A good celebratory post that captures your passion and excitement for the role of Teacher-Librarian and is quite opportunistic for you to explore new supports, learning resources, professional networks and new tools. Your post outlined some of the ways you will integrate into your new district and role and the communities you can join and contribute too. This path is a long way, so its important to not rush too much and to meet and connect with many others along the way. Your next steps will definitely include tweeting out some of the things going on in your library and soon, you will be helping others along their own path of learning. A good post outlining your next steps in an exciting time!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts