hmmmmmm ?!? final vision project design


photo retreived from: http://www.karicosolutions.com/manufacture-your-day/manufacture-your-day-by-asking-open-ended-questions/ 


First of all, I want to say how fitting it is for us to have this open ended final vision project where we get to choose something to create that fits our current needs and interests. This is something I have already been thinking about for a few weeks now which highlights my own interest in starting this task. Following our own inquiries and curiosities and having the opportunity to create something that we can actually use in our current schools is priceless.

At first I thought that perhaps creating a teacher librarian /classroom teacher collaboration planning template might be useful for me. But as I jumped into my new role in October and I got to know the staff and meet the children I quickly saw how that might not be the most useful step towards collaboration and there was another idea that makes more sense before I get to the planning stage. 

Because of the way my brain works and my need to be ridiculously organized/planned I have had a pretty strong idea for a while now of WHAT I want to create and for whom I want it to be used for. I will elaborate more on my rationale, intended audience and purpose behind my thinking in my 'Final Vision Project Learner' consideration post next week. A short summary is that I started thinking about what I could make that I would be able to use immediately but also be able to use again at different schools (since my position is temporary). I am going to create a 'teacher librarian menu' of sorts. Something that teachers can look through to see what kinds of collaboration with me is possible. 

The open endedness of this vision project leaves room for so much potential. The one intimidating factor with us getting to choose the format of our digital artifact is that there are SO MANY formats to choose from. This is what I have been wondering about as I start working on this artifact. I have seen a few graphics like this one I posted in a previous blog post that outline what TL's can offer but they are more general pieces of information. I think this is still quite useful and a good place to start where teachers can get a general sense of my role. But as I think more about what would be helpful for the teachers is to hear some real examples of things I have done. The more I began to think about what experiences I have that I could offer to other teachers the more I realized there were many examples of things I have done with students that would be useful for the staff to see. I myself am a visual learner so seeing menu options would really appeal to me if I was back in a classroom teacher role. Right now I am debating about creating one page with lots of information on it or creating something a little longer but still easy to navigate. I am the most comfortable with using google apps so I am leaning towards creating my digital artifact on google slides. Or maybe I step out of my comfort zone and try a new program! In another course I was looking for interesting library websites. I came across this one and found a section with project ideas that both students and teachers can access. The TL at this high school in Missouri has done a great job in sharing a few formats that can be used to share learning. 

Well it's time to start creating ... here goes nothing!



References

Arneson, M. (2018). PHIS Library, Oh The Places You'll Go ... [online] Available at: http://phislmc.weebly.com/ 

Whitehead, T. (2018). Your Librarian Can… – Mighty Little Librarian. [online] Mightylittlelibrarian.com. Available at: http://www.mightylittlelibrarian.com/?p=1388 [Accessed 15 Oct. 2018].

Comments

  1. I think this is an awesome idea! If a teacher can really SEE what you have to offer, with examples, I think it is more likely that they will want to collaborate more with you. In thinking about your format, one that I used during my Master's which worked well (and I had to use it) was a Pecha Kucha. https://www.pechakucha.org/ I had to explain my thesis in 20 slides and each slide had to be timed to 20 seconds. It was a great way of really focussing what was important and leaving out the extraneous info. It also is fast and teachers are busy!!! Another idea is a Prezi presentation. Visually, it's very appealing and it was easy to do. It's connected to the internet so it can be shared with anyone (from school to school - for someone with a temp position).
    Anyway, I love your idea. Good luck and I can't wait to see what you have to offer:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also think this is a great idea and I can't wait to see what you decide to do. I can see how this would also be useful for my school. I also look forward to hearing about what was challenging and what did and did not work. What a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This timing of your new job with the content of this course has worked out perfect! It is been a challenge to connect with every teacher to get collaboration going so this idea of yours is great! I like that it is something you can take with you being you are temporary right now. I easily get frustrated with a site not easy to navigate so am happy to hear you identified that as a consideration. This week I was in the rabbit hole of looking at different TL websites to see what works well and what doesn't. The one you shared I liked the project tools in it. My original vision project has something like that in mind, so maybe I can still incorporate a bit of that in my project, like that example you shared. Would a blog work for your vision? Then you can take it with you wherever you go next. Have one pull down tab be "collaboration projects" or whatever you name it...? Like this: https://staceymanoin.weebly.com/. I hadnt heard of Alsion's, Pecha Kucha, but the idea of a short and sweet highlight can work well for busy colleagues....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done brainstorming post that explores the context and zone of proximal learning you are experiencing in our course. It is a great thing to see learning so personalized and connected to the day to day work you are doing in your temporary contract. Your menu idea is fantastic and will allow teachers to order "a la carte" or custom collaboration with you based on a variety of examples and opportunities. You are the key resource and that it is why building this around you, what you can support and collaborate on, as it will definitely travel with you, wherever you end up. A great first start, looking forward to the next post!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts